Life moves fast: summer vacation, new jobs, moves, back to school season around the corner—it can be easy to let your guard down when it comes to protecting your identity. At National Life, our vision is to bring peace of mind to everyone we touch. We think about this every day and wanted to share some tips to help you have peace of mind online, on-the-go and wherever life takes you.
Here are a few tips on how you can prevent identity theft:
- Do not share personal information (birth date, Social Security number, or bank account number) just because someone asks for it.
- Collect mail every day. Place a hold on your mail when you are away for several days.
- Review your credit card and bank statements. Watch for unauthorized transactions.
- Shred receipts, credit card offers, account statements, and expired credit cards.
- Update sharing and firewall settings when you’re on a public Wi-Fi network.
- Install firewalls and virus-detection software on your home computer.
- Create complex passwords. Change your passwords if a company that you do business reports a breach of customer data.
- Review your credit reports once a year. Be certain that they don’t include accounts that you have not opened. You can order it for free from Annualcreditreport.com.
Get more information on how you can protect yourself from the (not) you.